A large number of the 5 million people living with dementia or Alzheimer's in the U.S. are receiving their care at home or in the home of a family member. For working families, adult day care programs with memory care services are a lower-cost option than private, in-home care.
Are you assisting your loved one in their home and need some assistance. Here are some alterations to consider to keep everyone safe.
- Lock up or remove dangerous items like household chemicals, knives/scissors, firearms, and sharp tools
- Secure dangerous kitchen appliances by adding safety knobs to rangetops/ovens and disconnecting garbage disposals
- Be sure the garage door opener has a functioning safety stop
- Eliminate tripping hazards, like loose throw rugs and extension/power cords strung across the floor
- Keep all keys for cars, lawnmowers, secured spaces, etc locked away
- Lock up medications and first aid items
- Install grab bars in the bathroom, hand rails on stairs, non-slip decals/tape to bathtubs and decals for any glass doors or large windows
- Intall smoke detectors and check them twice a year
Here are some area adult day care options: